Student Research Fellow Position - Carbon Pricing
The MIT Office of Sustainability is seeking to hire the following student fellow to support the research needs of MIT’s campus sustainability efforts.
Application Deadline: Janauary 15, 2015. Start start: Immediate (for 2015 IAP/Spring Semester terms)
Carbon Pricing Research - Student Fellow
The Carbon Pricing Research Fellow will explore mechanisms for reducing greenhouse emissions through the administration of a “carbon price” that charges those who emit greenhouse gasses for their emissions. Internal carbon pricing systems can be used to help Institutions consider their carbon footprint when making decisions.
Topics of research might include, but are not limited to:
- Institutional/industry carbon pricing structures that can be used to price carbon in order to efficiently and cost effectively reduce emissions
- The design and administration of chargeback fees
- Models for reinvestment or revolving loan funds for projects that further reduce emissions
Duties will include:
- Perform data collection and analysis;
- Conduct literature reviews and assessments of best practices and innovative technology & policy solutions;
- Draft, review, and present written, quantitative, and visual materials for MIT students, staff, and faculty groups, including a white paper.
- Strong interest in sustainability and climate-related issues as they relate to urban and/or campus sustainability as well as a desire to impact the future of MIT;
- Strong quantitative data collection, management, and analysis, including proficiency in Excel;
- Excellent written, visual and oral communication skills, including presentation of complex data;
- Graduate student preferred, but will consider strong undergraduate candidates.
The Research fellow will work 8-10 hours per week during the academic year (with the possibility to continue through the summer) within the Office of Sustainability. Pay ranges from $12-$18/hour depending on student level and ability. MIT student preferred. Open to both upper-level undergraduate and graduate students.
To apply, send a detailed cover letter and resume to email@example.com with Research Fellow: Carbon Pricing in the subject line. Applications must be received by: January 15, 2015.