Communications Assistant, Climate Change Conversation
Click here to apply for this position
Applications accepted on a rolling basis. Start start: immediate
The MIT Climate Change Conversation Committee seeks a talented and passionate Media Assistant to support a community-wide dialogue on the role of climate change at MIT. The Climate Change Conversation Media Assistant (CCCMA) will create and manage dynamic communications materials including a science and news-based blog on climate change, social media outreach on climate to the MIT community (including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and others), and provide support in managing project ideas from the MIT community via an online Idea Bank. Ideal candidates will have a background in climate change science and/or policy, communications management, event management, and web-based campaigns.
Candidates interested in encouraging dialogue and engagement from a diverse community of faculty, staff, and students around issues and opportunities related to addressing climate change on the MIT campus and through education, research, global impact are strongly encouraged to apply. The CCCMA will work 20hrs / week through June 2014, on the MIT campus and support the Climate Change Conversation Committee with tasks as assigned.
Specific duties include but are not limited to:
- Support the creation and management of the content for the MIT Climate Change Conversation website. Update website materials weekly and as needed by the Climate Conversation Committee, and manage any major website or online platform projects throughout the duration of the Committee’s work.
- Oversee the creation and blog content to engage the MIT community in a dialogue about climate change.
- Create weekly reports from the Climate Conversation Idea Bank, an online portal for the MIT community. Assist the Committee in monitoring submissions, compiling and editing as needed, and producing reports for use by the Climate Conversation Committee.
- Assist in the development of a social media and community engagement strategy for the Climate Change Conversation Committee, which engages all community members (faculty, staff, and students) in tailored, specific strategies for engagement in the Idea Bank, surveys, forums, and web materials.
- Curate climate change related news both internal and external to MIT.
Education: Bachelors degree in a related field strongly preferred.
Experience: 3 or more years of professional experience required. Demonstrated experience in climate change science, policy, and/or issues. Experience with online campaign management, particularly social media strategy and deployment, communications strategy development, blog writing, and/or science writing. Must be familiar with Drupal Cloud and/or other web-based content management systems. Strongly preferred experience using Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and other social media outreach and analytic tools.
Skills: Strong interpersonal and digital communication skills; high level of professional behavior and ability to work in a fast-paced environment; ability to work with faculty, staff, and student populations; ability to adapt communications language to varied audience needs; strong project management skills; rigorous analytics and content management abilities; familiarity with designing and deploying social media and blog content and corresponding strategies; team player; advanced understanding of climate change.
Hours: 20hrs/week through June 2015
Start Date: As soon as possible